Tuesday 14 September 2010

On Sunday 5th September, i packed the majority of my life up and moved on up to the big city. I was all unpacked and ready to start my London adventure by 6pm. The boyf stayed over for the night to help me settle, and then by 9am the next day, it was all 'go'. Arriving at Chelsea extra early like an eager beaver was an opportunity to make friends, before soon being bought inside to begin the day ahead, being pushed headfirst into an expressive exercise of making instalments, etc. This basic activity was used as a start off point for us to learn about drawing and design technique in the pathway of 'Fashion & Textiles' - one i would not really associate as being my forte. As the week continued, we tried more drawing technique and i've really taken a liking to continuous drawing; the loose movements can create a really lovely image on the page. I've also practised my use of negative and positive space, and as the week progressed, we moved onto introducing 3d to our drawings and designs. 


Here are some of the 3D Bits and Bobs i tried out; some worked a lot better than others, mainly for the reason that i overcomplicated things for myself and made it a lot more difficult for the material to naturally take form.







The whole focus of the project was 'Compress/Expand', and with it now being Tuesday 14th September, our two week rotation is almost finished, so ofcourse we're now trying to bring in our individual ideas surrounding those key words. My main ideas do not look to certain objects, but moreso the ideas of compression and expansion in action; my main focus for a set of photographs we had to produce was the idea of me moving away and branching out into this new student lifestyle away from home and those i'm familiar with. For the rest of the week, i'm just going to experiment as much as possible, but i may find myself reverting back to 2d as i feel a lot more comfortable with it. 


Conclusion to come Friday.


safe. x

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading about life at Chelsea College of Art. Sounds an interesting first few days.Pity about the flu.

    ReplyDelete